Oakland’s public safety crisis has reached a boiling point, and Loren believes we need to make systemic, comprehensive change to immediately reverse the trend of homicides and crime in our communities. He has a record of championing smart investments in technology, partnering with responsible law enforcement, investing in community-centered violence prevention services, and centering equity in our public safety system.
- Co-authored successful ballot initiative that strengthened civilian oversight of the police department
- Established and co-chaired the Reimagining Public Safety task force, which increased community safety by instituting alternative responses to calls for assistance, improving the efficiency and coordination of OPD and the Department of Violence Prevention, and investing in programs that address the root causes of violence and crime
- Participated in designing the MACRO pilot program that redirects nonviolent emergency calls to community responders in order to decrease criminal justice system involvement for people in crisis, especially among BIPOC
- Developed The Stand Tall Call to Action to reduce unanswered emergency calls, address inequitable 911 response, and increase the percentage of violent crimes solved. The plan resulted in the deployment of 48 more patrol officers in East Oakland and two additional police academies in 2022
- Oversaw exploratory conversations between city and county elected officials on strengthening reentry and workforce development programs for returning citizens
- Advocated for the charging of Officer Anthony Pirone and justice for Oscar Grant III
- Successfully passed budget allocation to fund surveillance cameras in East Oakland business corridors that have proven essential to solving crimes in across the city